Governance is about making
decisions that are good for the organization and the people in it.
Good decisions lead to the success and well-being of both the organization
and its people. All decisions are ultimately value decisions.
The following is an attempt to show the development of values
Values lead to...
- Hopes that the values might be experienced
- Purposes that lead to making the hopes a reality
- Principles that support the achievement of the purposes
in acceptable ways
- Policies support coordination and collaboration
- Actions that contribute to the achievement of the
- Outputs the actual products of the actions
- Outcomes are the resultant developments in the life and
work of the people concerned - the impact on success and
well-being of any initiatives
While the above sequence is far from mechanical it can be useful in establishing the level at which one is thinking and
acting at any point in time.
Good governance is a matter of alignment of decisions and
choices at all the levels listed above with opportunity (including the
The success of the organization and its people are best measured by
their success and well-being (the outcomes) and these are ultimately
understood in terms of what is valued.
To a greater of lesser extent the purposes of an organization
should reflect the hopes and thus values of the people